Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Single mom fears

What gets in the way of having true reliance on God the most for single moms? Time and money.
Dedicating at least a few minutes each morning to bible study can get your day started on the right foot. Read a small section at a time from the bible book of your choice, so you can use the day to absorb it. The Life Application Study Bible provides some great commentaries to help give you, not only meditation with God, but bible study as well. If you are "in the thick of it" start with Psalms.

Money. Check out http://www.angelfoodministries.com. They do NOT require a qualification form...anybody can order. You can save a lot of money on groceries. Our favorite thing to order are the "Signature Meals." They provide the most bang for your buck. They're designed to feed a family of four for a week for $30, but I can stretch it further than a week. You order once a month and pick your food up (usually the last Saturday of the month) from a host church. The website provides a place to insert your zip code so you can find the closest church.

Time. Well, I'm still working on that one myself. I've had to simplify my life in many ways. I've streamlined my finances with one financial adviser that is 5 minutes from my home. Of course, I only recommend this if you trust the person. I don't sign-up for everything that "looks good" anymore. Instead I've become very strategic with my activities and shopping time. I've drastically reduced the clutter in my home including my clothing and it actually feels great!

We are focusing now on "time well spent" such as the mission trip that my son and I took and he just wrote about in the previous post. My only concern with that was securing child care for my other children. The fund raising paid the mass majority of our expenses.

Please feel free to add your tips and advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment