January can be monotonous at times. Especially if you live in a cold climate. This is the time to break-up the monotony. One way to do that is to plan a field trip or two. Look for discounts!
- Zoos often offer free days in the winter because the animals aren't as active and they just don't get the attendance that they would in the summer. If a somewhat warm day (warm for January anyway) happens, drop everything and go to the zoo. Spontaneity can be fun!
- Museums are a warm way to get out of the house.
- Snow Walk. A quick, fun and free get-a-way. Go for a snow walk around your neighborhood or a park.
- Cheese. Find a store that specializes in cheese and go cheese tasting.
- Hotel. Sometimes you can get a great deal at a local hotel that has a pool. Go swimming and bring some Hawaiian type food like pineapple chunks. If the room has a refrigerator, you can bring your own food and save money.